US biotech firm, Senomyx has identified a new zero-calorie, high-potency sweetening compound found in trace levels in monk fruit, which it plans to produce on a commercial scale via fermentation.
Select news and developments in beverage ingredients and flavours.
OmegaSweet is a natural, flavour-enhancing ingredient that not only replaces sugar's sweetness but mimics its mouthfeel in beverages - a smarter way to reduce sugar ahead of the UK's sugar tax, says the developer behind it, Omega Ingredients.
The soft drinks industry has been working for many years towards low and no-sugar reformulations, with a whole host of new product launches in 2016 and more planned for the future, as companies and manufacturers continue on their quest to meet sugar reduction targets.
Cargill has started making a sugarlike product that seems perfect. It tastes like sugar, has zero calories, mimics natural sweeteners and won’t destroy farmland or forests. It could be very big. There’s just one problem: It's made in a lab.
With 50 percent more antioxidants than acai, this African-Arabian superfruit is experiencing explosive growth within the US food and beverage industry.
Is this a new and bigger defining moment for an African ingredient? Coca-Cola has launched a soft drink which contains baobab extract: a beverage that could be rolled out globally in the future.
Mérieux NutriSciences (formerly known as Swift Silliker) has expanded its SA footprint with acquisition of Lactolab, a leading analytical laboratory serving dairy and dairy-related industries.
Scientists and winemakers are now recognising that part of what makes a wine-growing region special may be its resident microbes.
South African and UK soft drinks manufacturers will soon be subject to a sugar taxes on their products. After the anger and frustration, there's an even greater urgency to reformulate beverages seen to be a key factor in the globesity epidemic.
More Articles ...
- Sports Nutrition Drinks: Flavours and Trends
- Dairy permeate takes off in global food and beverage industry
- Has neuroscience proved that 'New World' winemakers have got it wrong?
- Döhler launches "liquid food & beverage enhancers" product concepts
- EFSA okays erythritol for use in beverages
- Tate & Lyle launches allulose as a branded low-calorie sugar
- Stevia from fermentation will be available next year, says Evolva
- What's hot in beverage formulation?
- Test tube milk: Latest to hit the engineered food scene
- Natural sweeteners on the up - but have a long way to go